Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Little Things

"Money is a little bit like a perfectly clean house ... everyone wants it, it is difficult to acquire, and it never lasts long enough."

Once upon a time, I was one of those parents who took her kids to walmart and let them throw things into the cart to take home. Cheap toys that wouldn't last long, books, junk food, silly t shirts, sillier slippers, gallons of bubbles and cases of caps for toy guns. Every time we went to town we came home with more and more 'junk' .. but the kids were happy.

These days, I'm way more frugal. First of all, I avoid Walmart like the plague. Second, we really make an effort to only purchase things 'on the list' when we go shopping, and we don't give in to' impulse buy temptation' often. (well, those darn peanut M&M's get me sometimes ....) We have a budget and we stick to it. And besides, who needs all that junky trinkety crap in the house anyway .. it just is clutter .. that will eventually be trash .. and that's so not cool!

That being said ....

My mom and I went shopping the other day. We had a mission. I've been really enjoying crocheting again, and when she came over to see my latest work, she was sitting on the couch in the living room admiring the vintage tole tray collection on my walls. They are black, with gorgeous hand-painted flowers on them. She suggested that I let those trays be my inspiration and make hats that look like that ... black background with beautiful flowers. What a FABULOUS idea! (She has those a lot!)

Shortly after she left to go back home, the phone was ringing, and Mom was calling to suggest that we zip into Broadway to get some black yarn at the Ben Franklin shop on Main Street. It's only a few miles away, and it wouldn't take long. So I left the kids at home with instructions to "Be nice to each other, stay in the house, and call if you need anything". We were only going to be a few miles from home, after all! Now, son #1 is 15, nearly old enough to drive a CAR! (Well, that's what the state of VA thinks, anyway.) Son #2 is going to be 13 in a few days. And The Little One is SIX YEARS OLD now. I figured they'd be ok for a little while.

Since our budget is tight right now, I didn't have a lot of extra cash. That's actually a doozy of an understatement. In fact, I had about $12.

I was looking at the colors and textures of the yarn at the store, and struggling with how to select the best ones. I only had a little cash in my pocket, and since I haven't SOLD anything yet, I haven't earned back the money that I already invested in yarn. I laid them out, talked to Mom, rearranged them, shuffled some more, and selected 4 skeins. I was putting the other 10 colors back when Mom said, "Oh, let's just put them all in the basket. I'm getting this for you. You really enjoy this, and your work is beautiful. Let me do this for you." (I am so lucky ... my mom is amazing!)

And then I had this thought. I was prepared to spend that whopping $12 when I left the house. It was my 'fun money". I realized that what I really wanted to do with it was to take something nice for my amazing kids. I wanted to BUY them something frivolous! Something unnecessary, unexpected, and fun!

Luckily, I was at the variety shop. The "We have a little bit of everything" store. The Little One is easy to shop for, she basically wants everything. Since I have been crocheting a lot lately, and she's been yammering about wanting to learn, I bought her a large hook and a skein of lavendar yarn. The Middle One loves his ocean themed bedroom, and he's working on learning some ' daily routine' skills, so I bought him a Beta fish and a tiny baggie of food. (We already had a bowl and marbles). The Oldest One is very interested in carving lately. So far, he's whittled soap, branches from the farm, scrap wood, and fingers. (yes .... fingers .. but that was an accident.) There was a block of balsa wood there in the craft "department", and my mother was convinced that he would love it. As usual, she was so right!

The total for my 'treats' was $11.87. Amazing, huh?

So, I came home with a treat for everyone, and a basket FULL of gorgeous yarn. It was so exciting! Clara has learned the concept of chain stitch and single crochet already. Ben's fish is gorgeous and relaxing .. and it's been fed every day since it came home. Adam disappeared into this room for HOURS and came out with a beautiful little fish carving. And I am making hats. LOTS of hats.

I am such a lucky woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment