Thursday, August 5, 2010

Great LOCAL Grocery Deals

The past couple of years have encouraged (or, maybe FORCED is a more appropriate term) almost everyone I know to be more frugal in one way or another. Today, I'm going to share a list of local opportunities to do just that. Please add comments that include YOUR favorite places to get great deals too.

CHICKEN / POULTRY:
The Market Store in Timberville. Co-op Drive. (Go past Rite Aid and JJ's ice cream shop, keep driving as if you are going to the Pilgrim's Pride plant, look for a small white sign that says "Market Store". Pull into that parking lot, look to the building on your right with a grey metal door. Go in there.

This used to be an 'employees only' store, but it's been open to the public for a long time now. Anyone can go, they are easy to find, the meat is great quality, the employees are nice and the prices are amazing! Last week I bought boneless skinless chicken breast for less than $2.00 per pound. They also have something called "trim" which is the same meat, but in small pieces, and it's about $1.29 per pound!! Our other favorite thing to pick up here is a 10 pound box of breaded, pre-cooked chicken tenders for $12.00. I know, they are processed .. and we try to avoid that these days, but let me assure you that there are days when I LOVE to be able to take these things out of my oven and have a quick, yummy meal for LOTS of people in a jiffy. (They are my secret weapon for potluck dinners too .. they always disappear!!) This store has lots of items like wings, pork products, beef steaks, cheese, and some grocery items, too.

Pork:
I love pork. If I could only pick one meat, that would be it. It's versatile, it's easy to prepare, and my whole family loves it. From crispy bacon to grilled tenderloin, we're hooked! I have absolutely fallen in love with the Gore's Meats booth at the Broadway Farmer's Market. This is a locally owned meat processing company that his been around for ages. Throw a cooler in your car on Saturday morning and GO SEE THEM! The gal that sets up a booth every Saturday is adorable, and their prices at the market are SOOO amazing! They have the locally famous "Foltz's Sausage" there, their Italian link sausage is delicious grilled, their hamburger is the only kind I buy anymore, and it's all so affordable! Now, they do have steaks and 'fancier' cuts, but those are a little out of my price range right now. However, the loose and link sausage, the pork chops, and the ground beef are fantastic and fit into my budget very nicely!

Produce:
I would feel terribly guilty if I didn't mention the local farmer's market FIRST. I support the Broadway Farmer's Market by going every week ... I love the vendors, the community spirit, the Saturday morning gathering place, and the products there. You can find SERIOUSLY fresh produce, amazing Lucas Roasting Co. Coffee, Home made donuts, hand crafted baskets, gourmet canned goods, Gore's meat, beautiful jewelry, baked goods, and more! Here's a link: Broadway Farmer's Market.

That being said, if you want a LARGE quantity of FRESH, locally grown produce at VERY LOW PRICES, the best place to go is the Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction. (2839 Lumber Mill Road Dayton, VA 22821-3051 - (540) 879-2211) You buy LOTS of produce (think boxes, 50 pound feed sacks full, wooden crates, pallets, etc.). Last week, a friend bought a whole box of gorgeous romas for $3.00! I bought carving pumpkins last October for $1.00 a piece. (I bought 24 though) My mother buys acorn squash by the truck load to process and freeze. It's amazing. It is a social gathering as well as a great way to get large quantities of fresh produce! If you are feeding a crowd, or you freeze or can .. you should check it out. I suggest you go there early in the morning, get a cup of coffee and piece of home made pie, acquire a bidders number, and have a great time! They meet on Tuesdays and Fridays of each week from Spring through October. For more details, click on the purple link above.

Bread, etc.
The Flowers Bakery Thrift Store ( 60 Charles Street. Hburg 434-4439) This is THE place to go in Harrisonburg for low prices on bread, buns, and other baked goods. Now, I admit, wholesome local healthy food is not exactly their niche. That being said, if you are having a BBQ and need a lot of hot dog and hamburger buns, or you enjoy english muffins or donuts or streudels for breakfast, it's worth a stop. They DO have some whole grain breads and rolls there, but you have to look for them. And FYI, they take local checks, but not $100 bills. ;)

The Broadway Supermarket also has a little "day old" bread shelf in their store where my mother has been known to stop in and buy amazing whole grain, healthy, delicious breads and baked goods. I can't tell you which day of the week these things are delivered, but once a week a big name bread vendor fills that shelf and let me assure you, there is some good stuff on there!)

That's it for now. There are other 'thrifty' places that I shop regularly, and I'll write about them soon. In the mean time, enjoy visiting these places .. and don't forget to share your favorite spots in the comments section.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome ideas, Dawn, thanks so much! I must check out the auction with my mom one of these days soon! :-)

    Also check out Save and Prosper on Rt 42 in Harrisonburg (If you are going north from Park View it is on your left shortly after Rite Aide). It's a little locally run place with really nice produce at amazing prices! They also have local fresh eggs and some dry goods. The Russian family that runs it is super nice and I can leave the store with a grocery bag full of produce for less than $15! They also have another location over in the Duke's Shopping Plaza near Ollie's.

    ReplyDelete